Froggy went a courtin’

These Jambouree Juniors probably don’t know that the earliest known version of the song was published in 1549 as “The Frog Came to the Myl Dur” in Robert Wedderburn’s “Complaynt of Scotland”. He states that in 1547 the Scottish Queen Consort, Mary of Guise, under attack from Henry VIII, sought to marry her daughter Princess Mary (later Mary Queen of Scots), “Miss Mouse”, to the three-year old French Prince Louis, the “frog”.